Updated: May 16
Our other useful blog links:
Permitted Development Lawful Development Certificate 2023
If you're planning to make changes to your property, you may have heard of something called a lawful development certificate. But what is it and do you need one?
A lawful development certificate is a document that confirms that a proposed use or development of land or a building is lawful. It is issued by the local planning authority and can provide evidence that the proposed development is in accordance with planning permission or permitted development rights.
There are two types of lawful development certificates: one for existing use or development, and one for proposed use or development. The certificate for existing use or development confirms that a use or development that has already taken place is lawful, while the certificate for proposed use or development confirms that a use or development that is proposed to take place is lawful.
So, do you need a lawful development certificate? Below are the situations in which a lawful development certificate is required:
1. If you are planning to carry out building work and under permitted development rights. A lawful development certificate can provide peace of mind and confirm that your proposed development is lawful. It’s well worth obtaining for the future as seen below;
2. If you are planning to sell your property and the buyer or their mortgage lender requires evidence that any building work that has been carried out is lawful. A lawful development certificate can provide this evidence and help to ensure that the sale of your property goes smoothly.
3. If you are involved in a dispute with a neighbour or the local planning authority over the use or development of your property. A lawful development certificate can provide evidence that your use or development is lawful and can help to resolve the dispute.
It's worth noting that a lawful development certificate is similar to planning permission as it simply confirms that a use or development is lawful under your permitted development rights.
If you're not sure whether you need a lawful development certificate or how to apply for one, please contact us today and we will be able to provide guidance and the necessary architectural drawings you need to complete the application process.
Overall, a lawful development certificate can provide peace of mind and confirmation that your proposed development is lawful. It can also be useful in certain situations, such as when selling your property or resolving a dispute, and is required if you are planning to make changes to your property under permitted development.
Here's why to use PermittedDevelopment.com for your Permitted Development Extension in 2023.
If you're planning to build an extension on your property under permitted development, you may be wondering whether you need the services of an architect. While it's possible to design and build an extension yourself, there are several reasons why working with an architect can be a good idea:
1. Expertise: Architects are trained professionals with a deep understanding of building design, construction, and planning regulations. By working with an architect, you can tap into their expertise and ensure that your extension is designed and built to the highest standards.
2. Cost savings: While hiring an architect may seem like an additional expense, in many cases, their services can actually save you money in the long run. An architect can help you to design an extension that is both functional and cost-effective, ensuring that you get the most value for your money.
3. Time savings: Building an extension can be a time-consuming process, and working with an architect can help to streamline it. An architect can help you to develop a clear plan for your extension and can coordinate all of the necessary design and construction work, saving you the time and hassle of managing the process yourself.
4. Professional presentation: An architect can help you to present your plans to the local planning authority and can provide a professional level of detail and accuracy that may not be possible if you are designing the extension yourself. This can increase the chances of your plans being approved and help to avoid delays.
5. Quality assurance: An architect can provide quality assurance throughout the design and planning process and are fully insured for the work they undertake.
Overall, working with an architect can be a valuable investment when building an extension on your property. While it may involve an additional cost upfront, it can save you time, money, and stress in the long run and can help to ensure that your extension is designed and built to the highest standards