top of page

Permitted Development Outbuildings

Class E buildings incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse.


Permitted development outbuildings provides you with the perfect space for your very own sanctuary whether you are looking for an office area, a gym or a workshop, it provides you the perfect space to escape your house. At, your personal designer will create the space that suits you. 

​Permitted Development allows home owners to create a permitted development outbuilding of no more than 50% of your garden curtilage and in most instances, achieve exactly what they are looking for from their project without the need for planning permission.


Outbuildings larger than 30m are required to meet building regulations for construction. The size of outbuilding is set by the Government through their Permitted Development Technical Guidance and we have specialised in optimising these regulations to deliver your perfect outbuilding. And even if we discover that your desired outbuilding will exceed these regulations, then you've come to the right place as our specialists have extensive knowledge in small outbuildings too.

If you are looking for more information about permitted development then click here to see our dedicated page about it. 


02071 014730

02071 014730

Use the slider to check out this before and after example of a Permitted Development outbuilding! 

Our Simple Fixed Fee covers everything you require in your project 

We have a straight-forward, hassle-free architectural process that guarantees the of your permitted development rear extension. 

Stage 1 - Measured survey & existing architectural plans drawn up. 

Stage 2 - Personal designer to draw your ideas to life. 

Stage 3 - Unlimited design revisions to perfect your rear extension. Utilising our expert planning knowledge, we will complete your application and work with your local planning authority to achieve planning. 

Permitted Development is here for all your outbuilding needs!


With years of experience in Class E permitted development outbuildings, we're more than equipped to handle any project. The kind of certificate you will need to obtain is standard for all sizes of outbuildings. You need a Lawful Development Certificate.

Lawful development certificates allow permitted development outbuildings on all types of properties. You are allowed an outbuilding as large as you wish up to 50% of your garden curtilage. Remember that an any extension to your property will eat into this percentage along with any existing garden shed, existing swimming pool or existing outbuilding. 

Your Lawful Development Certificate can be obtained through your local planning authority after providing them with architectural drawings of the proposal. Permitted Development outbuildings provide you with a 100% approval rate when the regulations are met!

Lawful Development Certificates:

Permitted Development Outbuilding Rules:

Class E  Development is not permitted if;

(A) permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class G, M, MA, N, P , PA or Q of Part 3 of this Schedule (changes of use).

(B) The total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures and containers within the curtilage (other than the original dwellinghouse) would exceed 50% of the total area of the curtilage (excluding the ground area of the original dwellinghouse).

(C) Any part of the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation of the original dwellinghouse.

(D) The building would have more than a single storey.

(E) The height of the building, enclosure or container would exceed,

                               (i) 4 metres in the case of a building with a dual-pitched roof,

                               (ii) 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within 2 metres of the                                             boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse, or

                               (iii) 3 metres in any other case.

(F) The height of the eaves of the building would exceed 2.5 metres.

(G) The building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated within the curtilage of a listed building.

(H) It would include the construction or provision of a verandah, balcony or raised platform;

                              (i) It relates to a dwelling or a microwave antenna; 

                              (j) The capacity of the container would exceed 3,500 litres.

(I) Development is not permitted by Class E if the total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures, pools and containers situated more than 20 metres from any wall of the dwellinghouse would exceed 10 square metres.

How we will bring your permitted development outbuilding to life

We like to accurately measure your plot, as it's not possible design and plan an outbuilding reliably and cost effectively without knowing where you start. We produce accurate as existing drawings of your property and are required in your Lawful Development Certificate.

Your personal designer will undertake a detailed design brief with you where we will discover everything you are looking to achieve from your rear outbuilding. They will design one or two concepts from your brief  to create bespoke architectural drawings tailored for you to deliver your perfect space.


We provide you with the highest quality floor plans, elevations and 3D views as seen in our videos and rendered images to give you a full understanding of materials and finishes to the outside of your outbuilding. You'll be able to see exactly what it looks like in real life before it is built!

Your personal designer will then tailor the concepts to create your perfect design!

We understand that this process is difficult and decisions are hard, however, your personal designer will always be there to aid you and be able to draw recommendations from their architectural and local planning experience. 

Through following our architectural plan of works and with unlimited design revisions, we will create your perfect outbuilding and once achieved, we will obtain a Lawful Development Certificate or if it is required, planning permission. You are now ready to build!


Legally, outbuildings are exempt from building regulations, however, in most instances you will still need specialists to ensure the build quality. We have vetted chartered structural engineers, drainage experts, land surveyors and any other potential third party specialists that could be required in the signing off of your project.

This process will leave you in the best possible position going into the construction phase, providing your builder with everything they require. 

Through reading this, we hope you are as excited to start your project today as we are! Please fill out our Contact Us form below, where we can start your project as soon as possible or feel free to call in where you can speak to one of our specialists for any information you require. 

Permitted Development Government Guidance

Whilst we know the permitted development loft conversion rules inside-out, it might be helpful to familiarise yourself with it too.

Anchor 1
bottom of page